Friday, December 3, 2010

Welcome to the Gaults Winnipeg Limited Project



Welcome to the "Gaults Winipeg Limited" Project Blog. This has little to do with Winnipeg and even less to do with the Gault Building that now houses Artspace in Winnipeg's exchange district. It just happens that sometime in the 1st half of the 20th century some relative of mine, possibly my Grandmother but also possibly one of her myriad cousins, used a hardbound catalogue from Gaults Limited of Winnipeg to make a scrapbook mostly of recipes and household hints.

I never was aware of this book while my Grandmother was alive, we found it among her things when settling her estate. Most of the stuff in here isn't dated but the few dates found range from 1927 to 1945. A lot of it also appears to be American in origin. These dates and the American content make me suspect that this may have belonged to a relative.

My Grandmother was a skilled farmhouse cook and frankly I don't really recall her referring much to recipes except on the occasions when she would try something new (I fondly remember the discovery of zucchini bread as a new thing in the late sixties).

I'm going to scan and post the articles and recipes from this book for a while. It should be fun, certainly it will give an interesting glimpse into the recipes and ingredients available to home cooks in Pre-war Southern Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment